Patrick Stewart Says ‘Star Trek: Picard’ will Tackle the World of Brexit and Trump

Patrick Stewart Says ‘Star Trek: Picard’ will Tackle the World of Brexit and Trump

Patrick Stewart Says ‘Star Trek: Picard’ will Tackle the World of Brexit and Trump

Actor Patrick Stewart said the upcoming Star Trek series Picard will reflect the “world of Brexit and Trump” by portraying the show’s fictional United Federation of Planets as less “reliable and trustworthy” than in past series.

The British actor serves as an executive producer on Star Trek: Picard, which is scheduled to debut on CBS All Access on Jan. 23. It marks Stewart’s return to the enduring Star Trek franchise after a 17-year hiatus following Star Trek: Nemesis in 2013.

Stewart, 79, told Variety in a recent interview that he decided to return to the role after such a long period because the world had changed so much, specifically Britain’s decision to leave the European Union, and the election of President Donald Trump.

The new show, Stewart told the trade publication, “was me responding to the world of Brexit and Trump and feeling, ‘Why hasn’t the Federation changed? Why hasn’t Starfleet changed?’ Maybe they’re not as reliable and trustworthy as we all thought.”

Variety reported that Picard portrays the United Federation of Planets — a formerly benevolent union of interstellar planets — as having taken an isolationist turn.

“In a way, the world of Next Generation had been too perfect and too protected,” Stewart said. “It was the Enterprise. It was a safe world of respect and communication and care and, sometimes, fun.”

Stewart is staunch opponent of Brexit and President Trump.

Stewart said in November that he was “embarrassed” to be British, describing the country’s democratic vote to leave the European Union in 2016 as a “disgrace.”

“For the last 35 years, I have been so proud to belong to a country that was part of the European Union,” Stewart said at a Comic-Con event in Paris to promote Picard. “And I am embarrassed to stand here in front of you, representing a country that is seeking to break that invaluable connection.”

Stewart lashed out at President Trump on ABC’s The View in 2017.

“I am now applying for citizenship because I want to be an American, too, because all of my friends in Washington said, ‘There is one thing you can do. Fight, fight, oppose, oppose.’ But I can’t do it because I’m not a citizen,” he said on the show.

Stewart told Variety that he thinks President Trump will be re-elected in November.

“I’m not sure which one of us is in the most trouble,” Stewart said. “I think it’s actually the U.K. I think we’re fucked, completely fucked.”

He told Variety that he holds out hope that “the United States that has given us the Trump administration” can change, but he added, “he will likely get reelected.”

Follow David Ng on Twitter @HeyItsDavidNg. Have a tip? Contact me at dng@breitbart.com

Read More

Share:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

More News

Ninth Circuit Reopens Border, Blocks Trump’s ‘Return to Mexico’ Policy

Ninth Circuit Reopens Border, Blocks Trump’s ‘Return to Mexico’ Policy

The ACLU has persuaded three judges in the far-left Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals to block the hugely successful ‘Migrant Protection Protocols’ border policy, even though the policy has played a critical role in reducing the inflow of migrants. The same panel also declared that border agents must process claims for asylum made by migrants… … Read More

Trump Renominates John Ratcliffe for Director of National Intelligence

Trump Renominates John Ratcliffe for Director of National Intelligence

President Donald Trump on Friday renominated Rep. John Ratcliffe (R-TX), a prominent member of the House Intelligence and Judiciary committees, to serve as the next director of national intelligence. “I am pleased to announce the nomination of @RepRatcliffe (Congressman John Ratcliffe) to be Director of National Intelligence (DNI),” the president announced on Twitter. “Would have… … Read More

Don Jr. Condemns Democrat Call to Violence Against Him

Don Jr. Condemns Democrat Call to Violence Against Him

Andrew Surabian, a former White House official and spokesman for Donald Trump Jr., released a statement Friday after Rep. John Garamendi (D-CA) threatened Trump Jr. on MSNBC. Surabian released the following statement, saying Garamendi’s comments “were beyond the pale”: The outrageous remarks from Congressman Garamendi were beyond the pale and should be universally condemned by Republicans and… … Read More

FOLLOW

© Copyright 2020 | American Priority | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy