Boris Visit to U.S. Cancelled After Trump ‘Slammed’ Phone in China Row

Boris Visit to U.S. Cancelled After Trump ‘Slammed’ Phone in China Row

Boris Visit to U.S. Cancelled After Trump ‘Slammed’ Phone in China Row

Boris Johnson cancelled a planned visit to the White House after a row over China in which President Trump slammed the phone down on him, according to reports.

Prime Minister Johnson was originally due to visit the White House last month following his election win, before postponing the meeting until February.

However, following a heated phone call with the American leader, the Prime Minister has cancelled his trip for fear causing a deeper rift, according to Business Insider.

Donald Trump was said to have been “apoplectic” in his phone call with Johnson while discussing the Briton’s decision to allow Chinese tech giant Huawei help build the United Kingdom’s 5G network, before slamming the phone down on the British leader.

Washington believes Huawei represents a significant security risk, and that Britain’s deal with it will compromise the world-beating Five Eyes intelligence-sharing network which encompasses the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.

Pinkerton: Did the British Reclaim Their Sovereignty – Only to Surrender It to China? https://t.co/Noeq4Oxpcc

— Breitbart London (@BreitbartLondon) February 9, 2020

A post-Brexit trade deal between the U.S. and the United Kingdom has been seen as a top priority for both Trump and Johnson, yet spats over the requested extradition of the wife of an American diplomat, Iran, and Huawei have reportedly caused friction between them.

The Prime Minister and the President will now not meet until June at the G7 summit at Camp David.

In response to the cancelled White House visit, Stever Baker, chairman of the European Research Group (ERG) of Brexiteer Tory MPs, told The Times: “We need to be negotiating with the U.S. now. I’m concerned that our negotiating mandate isn’t already out there. Time is running out with our best ally as we head to a presidential election.”

Mr Johnson has refrained from making foreign trips to secure trade deals for Britain — which it had not been allowed to do during its time in the EU — and let his foreign secretary Dominic Raab take the lead.

Downing Street has reportedly cancelled trade missions to New Zealand and Australia, with an official at the prime ministerial residence saying there is “a lot of concern about this.”

“If we don’t do any trade tours this year, it’s going to affect the entire Brexit process,” they said.

Farage: UK’s Huawei Decision ‘Imperils Intelligence Sharing’, U.S. Trade Deal https://t.co/vjhICByqOF

— Breitbart London (@BreitbartLondon) February 14, 2020

Brexit campaign leader Nigel Farage, who recently met with the President at the Oval Office, said that there is “growing concern” in Washington over Johnson’s decision to allow Huawei access to the British 5G network.

“The recent decision of the UK government to involve the Chinese technology firm Huawei in the creation of our 5G network imperils not just intelligence sharing but a future trade deal passing in Congress,” Mr Farage warned.

Follow Kurt on Twitter at @KurtZindulka

Read More

Share:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

More News

Birx: Incomplete Chinese Data Misled on Seriousness of Coronavirus

Birx: Incomplete Chinese Data Misled on Seriousness of Coronavirus

Dr. Deborah Birx on Tuesday said that medical experts failed to understand the seriousness of the coronavirus because of incomplete data coming out of China. “I think the medical community interpreted the Chinese data as that this was serious but smaller than anyone expected,” she said. “Because I think probably we were missing a significant… … Read More

Leaked Kennedy Center Call: Layoffs Set Before $25 Million Bailout

Leaked Kennedy Center Call: Layoffs Set Before $25 Million Bailout

A recording of a conference call between Kennedy Center President Deborah Rutter and staff, obtained by conservative journalist with One America News Network and former U.S. naval intelligence officer Jack Posobiec, reveals that the institution planned to furlough and lay off staff even before it got the $25 million funding from the $2 trillion coronavirus… … Read More

Donald Trump: New York Got Off to a Very Late Start on Coronavirus

Donald Trump: New York Got Off to a Very Late Start on Coronavirus

President Donald Trump said Tuesday at the White House that New York got off to a “very late start” on containing and controlling the coronavirus. “For whatever reason, New York got to a very late start, and you see what happens when you get off to a late start,” Trump said. Trump spoke about New… … Read More

Coronavirus Task Force Details Data Predicting 100,000-240,000 Deaths

Coronavirus Task Force Details Data Predicting 100,000-240,000 Deaths

White House Coronavirus Response Coordinator Dr. Deborah Birx detailed data models predicting 100,000 to 240,000 deaths in the United States from coronavirus. Birx said that the numbers were shocking but much lower than the earlier models showing two million deaths. White House Coronavirus Briefing Birx shared a chart featuring an IHME Model by Chris Murray… … Read More

FOLLOW

© Copyright 2020 | American Priority | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy